There are some marketing methods that are regarded as the mainstream marketing options. Some of them include newspaper ads, email marketing, using billboards, social media marketing and so many more. However, this is not the end of it, especially for the creative thinkers. There is an alternative to the conventional methods of marketing and this is known as guerilla marketing. This form of marketing appears to be cheaper and uses various strategies like:
- Graffiti: In this case, sidewalks, the city walls and alleyways are used as the platform for advertising. You will mark the walls with the message you want to pass across. In most cases, spray paints are used.
- Stickers: You can find some creative stickers that you will use to promote your brand. You can have bumper stickers or any other form of creative stickers for this purpose.
- Undercover Marketing: In this case, you will have people marketing, among their peers in an indirect manner. There was a time when Sony used this form of marketing for their phones. People would ask you to take a photo with their phone and then they would start boasting of the awesome features that the phone had.
These are some of the main types of this method of marketing and just like any other marketing option; it has its pros and cons, which we will compare in this article. When you are in the full picture of the advantages and drawbacks, you can make an informed decision on whether to use it or not.
There are numerous advantages that are associated with guerilla marketing and some of the key ones include:
- Low Costs: Generally, this type of marketing will be cheaper to execute and in some cases you might not even spend a single coin. Whichever way that you may want to look at it, it will be way cheaper that the traditional form of advertising.
- Creativity is enhanced: There is no possible way that you can execute this form of marketing without bringing your imagination into play. This method relies more on creativity than the amount of money that you are to spend. There is no limitation as to what you can come up as long as you are able to convey the message to your clients.
- Word of Mouth Plays A Key Role: When you have a giant sticker or maybe go for undercover marketing, you will be amazed at how fast the word will be passed around. Word of mouth is one of the vital tools of this form of marketing and it will not cost you anything.
Guerilla Marketing Disadvantages
Most of the methods that are used in this form of marketing are used in covert operations and as such there are a number of disadvantages associated with it. Some of these drawbacks include:
- A high possibility of the message being misunderstood by your target audience
- You may find yourself on the wrong side of the law, especially when it comes to graffiti and stickers on city streets.
- You may face possible backlash and as a result, you may find some people boycotting your brand.
- There are so many obstacles that you are bound to face like harsh weather conditions, unwarranted displacement of your ads and so much more.
Before you decide to venture into guerilla marketing, you should weigh out the pros and cons so that you can make sound decisions.